Tuesday, August 24, 2010

for_profit = true;

I am consistently amazed by how grown adults utterly fail to understand the workings of the business world. Why do people demonize for profit corporations for doing, well, exactly what they were made to do?

A common trend on the forums of video games (though I'm sure it's prevalent in other industries too) is "omg, [big corporation here] just wants money!" This is often a last resort when the arguing party has run out of viable arguments, an attempt to gain some imagined moral high ground by casting the big bad evil corporation in a negative light for only caring about dollar signs but . . . that's why corporations exist. Do you really expect to get products for free? I suppose some unhappiness when a price is raised is understandable, but it's unavoidable. As the cost of living rises, wages must go up and as wages go up, development costs go up which in turn leads to increased prices. It's just how math works.

Now, I'm not saying that all big corporations are pristine paragons of virtue. Sure, stuff like the Enron debacle happens, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking solely about big companies that offer a product or service for which they charge a reasonable fee, not crooks with their hands our wallets when we're not looking.

What's even more ridiculous is when these complaints are roused by a new product. The inspiration for this post, though by no means unique or the only case of this happening, came from a Facebook comment thread following an announcement by SOE that they would be selling wall posters with art from some of their games. Amid the "Oh neat, I'll probably buy one" comments, there were a handful of "Great, Sony just trying to get more money!" as if this was some horrible thing. I can understand some of the frustration at a product's cost going up, or its features being cut to reduce costs, but what cause do we have to complain about a company offering an entirely separate product? If you don't like it, you certainly don't need to buy it.

Of course, this is mostly rhetorical, as we already know the answers: people have obnoxious senses of entitlement and thing they should get everything they want for free and hating big corporations is "trendy." Also ranting on a blog is therapeutic.

2 comments:

  1. Ah the release of EQ2X has a flood of angry ranters! I am glad it's free, it's really nice, though I think the model needs a bit of tweaking.

    I have come to really hate forums these days. Most of them are so negative it's a wonder these people still play.

    It really is awesome that they made it a separate product not changing things for the player base but people will still complain.

    I do wish it had free copies, might bring back some older players as well. For the most part I'm pretty happy with it, hey I can play for free whenever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been meaning to check out EQ2X, as the EQ2 bug has been biting me lately, just not gotten around to it. (I feel like a traitor but I canceled my all access subscription a few months ago, though I plan to pick up one or two games again eventually.)

    I don't know why I read forums. I hate myself every time I do it, but I keep going back. Fortunately I have so far managed to stay away from WoW and EQ2 forums, but I can't tear myself away from EQ or EVE Online for too long, heh.

    ReplyDelete